Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sopranos: Kennedy and Heidi

I just can't get over how amazing "The Sopranos" is. Seriously, I can't.
Warning: Don't read this posting unless you've already finished watching the entire series. Warning! I don't want to spoil it for you, just as I don't want it spoiled for me.

I just finished watching episode 83: Kennedy and Heidi. My thesis for the night: the asbestos represents Tony's secret about truly being the one who killed Christopher.
There is a problem with asbestos disposal, and Tony and Chris get in a terrible car accident, Chris was in very bad shape but might have been able to survive, but Tony suffocates him. It's all in the details. Christopher starts pleading Tony to help him, because he won't pass a drug test. We see Tony start to dial 911, but once he hears that, he hesitates, suffocates him, and then dials 911. Such detail. You can see him thinking, deliberating.
I'm sorry, this post is probably boring, but I find "The Sopranos" so exciting! Anyway throughout the entire episode, Tony has to act sympathetic and sad around everyone, even though he's really the one who caused the final blow. He feel like a hypocrite. The only person who he reveals this to is his shrink, Dr. Melfi, but obviously, he doesn't tell her that he's the one who really killed Christopher, but rather just that he's actually kind of relieved that he's gone.

Back to the asbestos problem. Just as Tony is carrying around this toxic secret, unable to completely dump it anywhere, unable to completely relieve himself of it, there is no where to dump the asbestos. (Also Tony's problem.) Finally, at the end of the episode, we see the workers dumping the asbestos into the river. The theory is, no one will know. But of course, it might float to the surface. But it's been gotten rid of, the problem has been relieved. Directly following that scene, we see Tony in the Nevada desert with one of Christopher's cumares after having taken peyote. All of a sudden, he shouts out "I did it!" Dumping from his mind the secret, just as the asbestos was dumped in the river. The episode ends there. Such a nice touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh... I heard "I get it" when tony was in the desert, and I thought it was a bit too trite. "I did it" makes a lot more sense.