Sunday, March 30, 2008

What You've All Been Waiting For...My Vacation

DAY 1: Chicago
I spent the first day of my vacation in Chicago. Arriving at the Midway airport, I took the surprising simple CTA subway (aboveway?) into the city, and met up with my friend Joel. We drove around and I had my first-ever Chicago-style pizza. It was good, but honestly, I think I prefer New York or Italian-style pizza more. Thin, bubbly crusts are more my style than dense cornmeal. Sorry, no pizza photos.
We wandered around downtown some more, and then eventually ended up at Millennium Park (also pictured in first photo). I liked Millennium Park very much. It had all kinds of interesting things to look at: the giant silver bean, blocks of light that looked like giant human faces that changed expression, and buildings with strange, cool architecture.

There was also a really classic skating rink:
Next, we decided to have dinner with Joel's former roommate Wynn (I think that's how you spell her name). She goes to school at the University of Chicago, and lives in Hyde Park. She lives in a very interesting old, huge apartment. I really wish I had taken some photos of it. But here is one of the lake which we drove along on the way to Hyde Park:

We had dinner, hung out, and then finally, we drove up to Milwaukee, in hope of picking up my friend Margaret from that airport in the morning.

Goodbye for now, Chicago:

2 comments:

Michelle Lasley said...

Fantastic! I love looking at Chicago Architecture! Have you ever looked at what's available in Chicago through Craig's List? That's fun too...

Laura said...

Yeah, I have. It seems like real estate is less expensive there than in Portland, believe it or not.