Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Last Day ın Istanbul

Tonıght was my last nıght ın Istanbul. Now that ıt's over, we fınally fıgured out how to get around vıa publıc transportatıon, and how to get along. Today, we vısıted Galata Tower, whıch was wıthın walkıng dıstance of the hotel and awesome, and Topkapı Palace, whıch had an amazıng amount of jewels and artıfacts. Istanbul ıs a super cool cıty.

Laugh of the Day:
As we were leavıng the hotel thıs mornıng to begın our day, my dad turned to the front desk attendant and fırst asked ıf there ıs a bus nearby that goes to the aırport (reasonable questıon), but then, after that was affırmed, asked ıf there was a taxı that could take us across the street to the bus stop. ???? I exclaimed, and then the front desk attendants tried to hide laughs. My dad has arthritis in his hands, and the street is very busy with barricades across the middle, so pedestrians have to use an underpass to get across which adds to the distance he would have to pull his suitcase. But still. That was the silly event of the day, but harmless and funny.

A Word on Turkish Boys:
A large percentage of them (much larger percentage than American ones) are hot. Not as high a percentage as Spanish boys, but a close second. And, they even make eye contact with fat, messy, little me. I like that. As I said before, most of the them are frickin hot. Who knows what could have happened if I had been on my own (or traveling with female friends), and actually bothered to brush my hair, dress nicely, and put on makeup. I might have had a little Turkish travel romance!
(Sidenote: found THE cute Turkish boy on Facebook, but judging from his photo, he might be married and have a baby daughter. He looked so young though! And he's still in school! I suppose they could be siblings or relatives or friends or something, but I strongly suspect they are the wife and daughter. Oh well.)

A Word on Food:
I am SICK of kebab. I am also sick of Turkey's version of bagels. And don't get me started on Nescafe. Bleh. But I found an Italian coffee shop near the hotel, probably a chain but whatever, and we had breakfast there the last two mornings in a row, and probably will tomorrow too. The same barista was there today as was yesterday, and he remembered me, and remembered what I ordered last time, which was nice. The coffee is very good.
Tomorrow night, I'll be eating a German dinner. I suspect that there is a lot of good food here, but I haven't experienced it. I saw many beautiful, non-touristy restaurants, but unfortunately, never set foot in them. We mostly ate in what are called "cafeterias," which are good, and fresh, but not especially exciting. Thinking back, I now realize that the best food I've experienced while traveling was in Germany and Switzerland, believe it or not. It might just be that we tended to eat in fancier restaurants during that trip, but it was all really good and thoughtfully prepared. Not all of it was wonderful: in Kochel am See, Alex and I experienced pasta that was salty to the point of hilariously inedible. But overall, I ate the best in Germany.

No comments: