Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Love Tarifa

Tarifa is known as a windsurfer mecca, and clearly, the main drag was geared towards that. But the beach was beautiful, with sand like sugar, and the original old part of town was amazing: ancient, arabesque-style buildings full of interesting shops, nice restaurants and bars, galleries, and, believe it or not, people's homes. I loved it.










See the little white sign with a rose on the sign below? We had dinner there the next night. It was one of the best meals I had in Europe: excellent atmosphere, simple but good food, and a very cute dog (more on that later).
Here I am inside a gallery.
Here he is, the aforementioned dog from the restaurant. We later found out that his name is Chaplin. As in, Charlie Chaplin. What a cutie.
Yes, that is an Ikea lamp. In fact, I own the very same one. The story is, when we walked into our VERY recently remodeled hotel, I noticed how swanky and modern all the furnishing looked, yet...yet...there was something very familiar about it all. And then I realized: the majority of it was from Ikea! The lamp pictured below was in the hallway on the floor our room was on. Yeah, it's a Ikea, but really, they did a very nice job on the hotel. I would totally recommend it: Hotel la Mirada.
Breakfast our first morning in Tarifa. Really good cafe con leche and orange juice.
Our dinner that night at the little aforementioned restaurant with Chaplin.

There he is again.
A fun bar where we saw flamenco. I drank several mojitos. Then, on the way home, I suddenly needed ice cream. Somehow, a large smear of Bruno's chocolate ice cream ended up on my white t-shirt. I really don't know how, but I think it had something to do with me taking a big bite out of his ice cream, and him exclaiming: "what are you doing!" I'm still trying to get the stain out of the t-shirt. It was an all-around great night though.



2 comments:

Michelle Lasley said...

Great photos, again! :)

When shall we expect the next installment?

LiamMu said...

I love tarifa too! I wrote and article about the place http://www.coloursofspain.com/travelguidedetail.php?travelguide_id=77
We also have this site, www.ilovetarifa.com , I couldn't resist saying hola. All the best, Liam.