Monday, August 4, 2008

Granada: the Alhambra by Day

Partly by accident, Bruno and I ended up at the Alhambra every day that we were in Granada. We found it by accident the first night there (night photos in a different post; beautiful, beautiful, beautiful); the second day we went off briefly individually, and used it as our meeting place; and finally, on our last day there, we actually paid the money to go inside.
The photos above were taken on the road leading up to it. The road was as beautiful as the the Alhambra itself.
That's the view of Granada from the top of the hill. The photos below are of the Alhambra itself. It was built by the Moors, and first inhabited by a Moorish prince, then later a by a Spanish king. Now, cats live there, and tourists visit.

I have no idea why those people were in costume.
The photos below are of the road again.

You think that fountain looks wrong? Wait until you see the evening version (in my next post) of it. That one looked REALLY wrong.

The following photos are from the top again, on our final day. We bought tickets and toured the whole thing that day.

This poor cat was so sweet, and purred when I pet him, but he had a messy eye.
The gardens up there were really beautiful:








The inside of the Alhambra was...well...yeah, it was pretty, but not actually as exciting as the grounds. I'm glad I spent the money, because otherwise I would have felt like I missed out, but it wasn't really the high point.




More kitties.



1 comment:

andrea said...

Wow, I know where I want to visit if I ever go to Spain.