Friday, March 27, 2009

No Spring, No Break

This was supposed to be spring break, but it was cold and raining, and I experienced no break to speak of. I had such hopes of getting ahead on my reading for class, going out for happy hour with friends, maybe reading a book for fun, seeing a movie, just generally relaxing. But due to two jackass (to put it nicely) ex-roommates, that didn't happen. Instead I spent all my time moving furniture, moving boxes, unpacking, organizing, working, freaking out because I thought my final project for Legal Writing was lost (turns out my professor just misplaced it--grrr), and just feeling incredibly tired all the time. I DID NOT get ahead on my reading for school, go out for happy hour, read a book for fun, see a movie, or have a chance to relax, unless you count sleeping relaxing. I just call that a necessity.
I'm beginning to think that law school just isn't worth all the misery. I miss having plenty of money and free time. I have a really sweet job now as it is. Sure, it's not the most exciting, but I'm also beginning to think that excitement is also overrated. But it pays extremely well, the people I work with are nice, it's secure, and provides lots of wonderful benefits and free time.
So basically what I'm saying is, that if I do wonderful and amazing at the end of this term, then obviously, I'll continue with law school. But if I only get so-so results, I'm going to seriously consider whether or not to continue. It's an incredible amount of pressure, and if I already have a good job, why go through all that?

3 comments:

Michelle Lasley said...

Aside from the possibility of a lucrative salary, what prompted you to even consider law school? Do you value the same things a year ago as you do now? What skills will law school bring that you wouldn't be able to get elsewhere.

So. The new apartment... how is it? Will you be posting any fabulous pictures?

Laura said...

I wanted to do something important, intense, and meaningful. But I think I just can't handle high-stress situations. They ruin my health and mood.

Laura said...

As for the apartment, it's still a big mess, but improving. Once I've put everything away, I'll post photos. In spite of boxes everywhere, it's nice to be there. Somehow, the west side of town just feels so much better. Work and school are here, so I don't have to drive in traffic.