Monday, September 21, 2009

It was better then

Sometimes (like right now) I miss being a kid. When I was little, fall was birthday season. All my friends had fall birthdays, myself included. In second grade, I went to my friend Annie's birthday party, and it was so much fun! We went ice skating, and she had two different kinds of pie instead of cake. I tasted lemon meringue pie for the first time. It was a slumber party afterward, and we all stayed up late giggling and talking about silly things.
I didn't have to worry about jobs, money, school, passing the bar exam, my [bad] health, elderly parents, or "making something of myself."
Now, all my friends are preoccupied with buying houses, investments, boyfriends, girlfriends, marriage, babies, and jobs. It's lame.
Life was better when I watched "She-Ra" after school, played Barbies, and stirred up strange mixtures of ice cream, soda, and cereal with my friends--and then ate it. My biggest worry in second grade was math, because I wasn't good at it. I'm still not good at it, but now it's one of the few things I don't worry about. I want to be seven years old again.

No comments: