Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How to Start a Fire at Work Like a Movie Star, Part II

The sponges in our kitchen at work smelled like mildew, so I threw them in the microwave for 90 seconds. They were bone dry, as they hadn't been used over the weekend. I didn't realize this could pose a problem.
I went back to my desk. One of my coworkers asked if I smelled something burning. Uh oh. I went back to the kitchen to investigate, and but before I could make it in, was accosted by another co-worker, asking if I had put the sponges in the microwave. Yes. Did I know that they had caught fire and were smoking and flaming? Oops. He went back to his desk. I opened up the microwave, and sure enough, the sponges were partially burnt.

Apparently, you're only supposed to put damp sponges in the microwave. There's even an article in the New York Times about it. I like to keep things exciting.



4 comments:

Klaus Varley said...

Holy smokes.

(Get it?)

Laura said...

Got it. Oh, you comedian.

Also, after all that trouble, the sponges still smelled like mildew. Someone threw them away this afternoon.

Bruno said...

Heh heh. You know, I don't want to brag or anything, but sponges in the dishwasher works much better. Also, toothpaste is an awful way to clean cds or eye-glasses.

Michelle Lasley said...

Mmm... sponges in the dishwasher. I had always heard that sponges in the micro were a good way to kill the germs, but whenever I try it they still smell gross and I get the same end result - in the trash.

So... this is work fire number 2, right? Please, I beg you, don't go for number three...