Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Live in a Haunted House



À propos for Halloween.

Last night, Joe was transferring his laundry from the washer to the dryer, when he noticed a little message from our landlords written in the laundry closet. We don't know if it was directed to us, the previous tenants, or just tenants in general. Anyway, it went something like this:

"It's so awesome that you're living in our house...and by the way, the living room is haunted with a she-ghost. Harmless but sneaky*...."
*The was some controversy as to whether or not it said "sneaky" or "freaky." But as 2/3 of us thought it said "sneaky," I'm going with that interpretation.

Whoa! I had been sitting downstairs by myself studying. After we discovered this, I hightailed it upstairs and went to bed. It was nearly midnight, after all. Prime ghost time, if you ask me!
I had been noticing something funny: There's no overhead light in the living room, but some outlets correspond to switches, so if we plug in lamps to those outlets, turn them on while the corresponding switch is in the on position, then we can turn all those lamps on and off using the switch instead of the individual lamp switches. So that's the plan. But whenever I come home at night, the whole lamp routine has been screwed up, and the switch won't control them, so I have to re-set everything up. I figured it was one of my roommates who had been turning the lamps off from the base, because they forgot or something.
But I asked Joe if he had been doing that, and he said no. So maybe the ghost has been horsing around with our lamp setup! (Well, either the ghost or Liz, I haven't asked her yet. But it would be much more exciting if the ghost did it.)

Our house is exactly 100 years old. Probably lots of exciting/weird/creepy things happened there over the years. I think it would be so interesting to research it, find out what it looked like back then, what the neighborhood was like (it was a farmhouse, maybe there used to be a barn?), who lived there, how it was furnished, etc. But I wouldn't know where to start looking.

In the meantime, check this out, I found it on Peppermint Creek's blog: Super Creepy Historic Halloween Costumes.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Yeah, don't get so excited. I didn't know you guys had the lamps hooked up to the switch. It was me. Not the she-ghost.

Laura said...

Dang it! It would have been the perfect sneaky yet harmless thing for a ghost to do.

andrea said...

Ooooh! I know where to begin! That's something I've been wanting to do for the places I've lived on here in the NW 23rd area =)

Laura said...

Cool! When you're back in town give me some suggestions.