Friday, June 26, 2009

I Can't Not Blog About This: Michael Jackson

I can't believe Michael Jackson is dead. Possibly because he seemed so surreal, larger-than-life, and possibly immortal. If he wasn't a regular human, then how could he die?
Anyway, he was THE BIGGEST star during my childhood, so in memorial, I'm recounting all my Michael Jackson memories:

  • I know everyone considers "Off the Wall" and, to a slightly lesser extent, "Thriller" to be his best albums, but I have a special fondness for "Bad."
  • Remember "Nick Rocks"? (It was a music video program on Nickelodeon in the 1980s.) When I was a kid, we had cable, and I watched it almost every evening. I saw the music videos for "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal" on it. Sometimes, I would dance along.
  • I particularly liked the video for "Smooth Criminal" because it had a 1930s mobster-theme, and I was totally obsessed with mobsters then.
  • In 4th grade, for St. Patrick's day, my teacher let us have a party in the afternoon, and my classmate brought in his copy of "Moonwalker." So we spent the afternoon eating treats and watching "Moonwalker." I remember really enjoying it, but I think we had to fast-forward (yeah! VHS!) through some parts of it, because, hey, we were little kids.
  • We watched "The Wiz" in music class in elementary school.
  • At my middle school, the gym was divided in two with a curtain, so two classes could go on simultaneously (it was a crappy school). In 6th grade, while I had P.E., the other side of the gym was occupied by a dance class, and they would frequently play "Billie Jean" and "Thriller."
  • Laughed and laughed at the Buffalax(??) parody of "Thriller" on YouTube a couple of years ago. Watch the one with subtitles.
  • Last summer, in Paris, the apartment my friend and I had rented had a large collection of 1980s music. Bruno and I selected Michael Jackson to get downnnnnn to. Yeah! Dancing in a Paris apartment!
There's probably more, but those are the highlights. It's shocking and sad that Michael Jackson is gone.

No comments: