Sunday, May 25, 2008

Frustration with Plants, Cars, Weather, & Doughnuts

I am presently laying on the couch listening to a shuffle of Radiohead, Iron & Wine, Spoon, Bon Iver, Calexico, and a mix I made, reflecting upon my day. My horoscope today stated that today was my lucky day! It's depicted like a weather report, and showed sunny skies for health, love, and money. So not true, my horoscope lied. So here's my day, for your enjoyment:

First thing I noticed when I woke up this morning was that while the ceramic potter I had on my bedroom windowsill was there, the jade plant was no longer in it. Hmmm. Where did it go? Ah, yes, that's right, it uprooted itself during the night, and under my bed lay the remains of my jade plant amid a pile of dirt. The best way to start the day. Cleaning up a big pile of dirt! My favorite!

Next, due to my own dawdling, I was 20 minutes late meeting my friends for brunch. Oops.

Did I mention the weather? Oh yes. Yesterday, the weather was perfect in all respects: warm and sunny during the day, exciting thunderstorm by night. Today: blah rain.

Brunch is over, and I get in my car to drive to Albina Press for coffee. It turns on, then promptly quits. What? I try it again. Same result. Excellent. I call Alex, who by this time has already left. I try all of his suggestions, but to no avail. I decide (incorrectly) that the battery is weak. I convince Alex to come back to try to jump my car, even though he doesn't think that it's the battery.
He appears within a few minutes, and we are parked side-by-side with hoods open. This attracts the attention of the old man contingent at Sassy's Lounge across the street. Two of them come to investigate, fiddle with my car, and say "why didn't you just ask us? We have jumper cables!" They're very excited. Hopefully, they didn't make the problem worse with their fiddling. After it's unanimous that nothing can be done, they go back to their beer. I call a tow truck.

Just as I see the tow truck drive by I decide to try the car again. Eureka! It works! Amazing! I take off, call the tow company back to cancel the request, and head home happy.

But wait! I spoke too soon. Literally two blocks from home the car in front of me stops suddenly to park. My car starts shuddering like it's going to quit again. Goddammit! I manage to get it started again, but now the check engine light is on too. I park and call it a day as far as the car is concerned. I'll deal with it Tuesday.

I decide that I probably need to watch an episode of "The Office" and eat a doughnut. Both are always enjoyable. Nevermind that I fear getting a fat ass, and that doughnuts are obviously no help in that department. I'll go running. It'll be fine.
I settle in with my doughnut and funny tv show. I take a bite, and promptly drop my doughnut on my shirt. Custard and chocolate are the latest accessory, you know. It's smeared on all the models in New York and Paris this year. Photo below. Okay, maybe I made a big deal about it, but I felt very clumsy.

My parents pick me up to go to dinner at their house, since I don't want to drive my car. Their car, without fail, always makes me carsick, and makes my back hurt. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. I hold my breath and hope for the best.

Now here I am. The day's over. My horoscope lied: I'm probably going to have to spend money on my car, and I felt really tired today. So that takes care of money and health. Love, well, I would call that partly cloudy. I got postponed, but it might be for the best. Hopefully next weekend my skin will be clear.

No comments: