Sunday, May 25, 2008

Natural Disasters


So many naturals disasters in such a short amount of time. I think it's a little strange. Last night here in Portland, we had an intense thunderstorm--usually, Portland thunderstorms are rare and mild. But the one last night could rival those I've experienced in the midwest or east coast: nearly simultaneous thunder and lightening, wind, hail, torrential rains (over an inch in less than an hour), all resulting in power outages and damage to trees and shrubbery. I really enjoyed it!

So let's recap, shall we?
  • Clyclone in Myanmar
  • Earthquake and aftershocks in China, over 60,000 dead as a result
  • Tornadoes in Oklahoma and Kansas
  • Wildfire in California
  • Wildfire in Florida
And let's not forget that last weekend was 90+ degrees in Portland, but then on Friday, the heater came on in my car as I was driving to work. Hmmm.
What does it all mean? Is the world about to come to an end? Are all the dinosaurs going to die off? Oh, wait, that already happened.

Yes, I am still trying to figure out how to embed audio and video in my posts, but have not succeeded yet. It's a shame too, because I had the perfect music to accompany this post. If I figure it out, I'll edit this.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

It seems weird, huh? Like there are more natural disasters... But to me the on-going question about many things that I notice more of these days - sex offenders, kidnappings, bad press, dishonorable politicians, etc, you get the point - is "Are there really more, am I just noticing them more because I am older, know what it is and pay closer attention, or does the media make a bigger deal out of occurrances that have been happening since way before my time?" I have yet to find the answer. Maybe some combination of all three. But should you find the philosophical answer, please do not hesitate to shoot a hint my way.

Laura said...

Sunny, I really think that all those social problems just get reported more, rather than actually happen more frequently.
There have always been sex offenders, kidnappings, etc. but every aspect of life these days is saturated by the media: tv, radio, internet, you can even have news updates sent to your mobile! It's inescapable these days.

Sunny said...

Yes, I agree. Overkill.

Klaus Varley said...

Do not embed audio in your posts. Trust me. We once had an incident with Pachelbel's Canon on the Brothel - it wasn't pretty.

Laura said...

What happened?