Thursday, February 21, 2008

La Luna*

Okay, I'm sorry, I am fully aware that this photo is lame. But it was the clearest one I took last night that actually included the moon. I could break out the world reknowned "Blurry Photo Gallery," but I'm guessing you won't be interested in truly indecipherable pictures of the moon. Sorry, back to the point.
Last night was a lunar eclipse! The last one for two years, in fact. It was cloudy most of the day here in Portland, but miraculously, it cleared up in time. It was pretty cool, perhaps not as dramatic as a solar eclipse, but hey, you can watch it without risking burning your retinas!

First of all, the moon looked huge, and muddy, and initially, like a section had been carved out of it. That was really the most exciting point. After that, it continued to look huge and muddy, but not carved anymore. But really, it was quite exciting.

Everyone was out last night, staring at the sky from whatever vantage point was deemed preferrable. The photo above was taken on the infamous Suicide Bridge on SW Vista, but was really just a stopover on my way to a more adventurous, but, alas, less advantagous focal point.

My goal was the top of Council Crest. Unfortunately, I hadn't been there in several years, and finding it in the dark proved more challenging than I was anticipating. Plus, I was rushing, because I didn't want to miss it. I might have run over a rat on the way there. Hopefully not, as I stopped suddenly, but when I proceeded again, I felt like I ran over a little bump in the road. Hopefully, it was just a stick or something, and not Mr. Rodent. But these things happen.

Anyway, I got kind of lost, and wound up on some hill, but it wasn't Council Crest. I stood out there for maybe 20 minutes, then decided I was getting cold and had sufficiently viewed the eclipse. I headed back down the hill, but again, really didn't know where I was going. Where did I end up? On top of the actual Council Crest. Oops. I drive around it, then head back down, thinking I am driving in the direction of Portland. Nope. I end up exactly where I started: on that hill that wasn't Council Crest.

So I try again, making completely different turns from last time, and truly have no idea where I am or what direction I'm going. But I'm going. The streets get narrower, curvier, and darker. Nary a street light is in sight at this point, and I'm getting a little bit nervous. Lost in the rich white suburbs! I might get approached by the fashion police. Or someone might question me because my Volvo is 9 years old, pretty sketchy for that neighborhood.

Finally, the tiny curvy road opens up onto what appears to be a main (although still dark and curvy) street. It leads downhill, which is also a promising sign. Hmm. Things are starting to look familiar. What?! Is that OHSU in the distance? Yes. I look for a street sign, and finally find one. SW Gibbs? I know where I am! I'm not lost anymore. In fact, I'm right in front of my friend's house. I haven't seen him for a while, so I might as well stop by and bother him. Yes, his car's there. Oh, but everything's dark. I give him a call to warn him, no answer, so I leave a message. Then I knock on his door. Just as I'm about to give up and leave, a light turns on, and he emerges from the back of the house and lets me in.

Damn! I woke him up. Sorry. But it's okay. We have tea and chat. It was fun.
*Native Portland GenXers: please note the mid-90s pop culture reference. Remember La Luna in SE? Remember all the great shows you saw there? I sure do: They Might Be Giants, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, countless other grunge, swing, and ska bands. Everclear played there my freshman year for $5.00. Ah, those were the days.

No comments: