Monday, June 30, 2008

Interview with Klaus Varley of The Literary Brothel

Dear Readers, the moment you've all been waiting for has finally arrived: Laura (BTJ) has interviewed the world-reknowned Klaus Varley (KV) of The Literary Brothel!

An off-the-cuff Klaus has proven himself as witty, entertaining, and intelligent as the finely-edited Klaus you all are familiar with on The Literary Brothel. Interview below.


BTJ: What do you listen to on those big headphones of yours? Does it help inspire your writing?


KV: That's not actually me. We have models do our profile pics. My model is obviously soft and fluffy. I chose him purposely, to promote new ideas of what is sexy. For the kids. However, I do listen to music when I write - headphones only at night, when I care to respect my neighbors and/or the stomping sounds I can only assume represent the frustrations of those who live near me. Right now I'm listening to "Down Under" by Men at Work. No joke. And no headphones.


BTJ: Historically speaking, do you feel that this is your time?


KV: I'm not sure. The problem with "this" time, is that it's still going, so I won't be able to look back and say, "Damn, that was the perfectage to live! Why did I always want to be born in 1900, go through the roaring twenties, struggle through the Great Depression, fight off the Nazis in WWII and become a wise college professor / leader of the Civil Rights movement in my retirement years? Oh yeah, because I've seen too many movies. The late 20th, early 21st century was really'my time.'" If that makes any sense then it really is "my time."


BTJ: What size shoes do you wear?


KV: Big enough to shop in the men's section. That's all that matters.


BTJ: Having at least three fans there, does your popularity in Portland, OR surprise you?


KV: It's a little surprising, but when I think about it, it makes sense. Oregonians tend to be more intelligent AND laid back, which is my target demographic, or would be if I had a marketing department. East Coasters might be intelligent, but certainly not laid back, and Californians? Sometimes smart, but hella laid back.


BTJ: Would you consider making any publicity tours? Like up and down the west and east coasts, for example?


KV: Hopefully. Once The Literary Brothel book is published (April 2009) and depending on how much / if it sells, there may be a mock booktour. Also depends on whether I can get Teddy or Parker to come with. Maybe I'll put up an "Eventful - Demand It!" button on the site, and see how many people in what areas would show. But I would love to do it - know any cool book stores?

BTJ: Portland is home of Powell's, supposedly the largest bookstore in the U.S. And obviously NYC has many cool shops too. Maybe you could hit a Brentano's there for the sake of Seinfeld posterity.


BTJ: How do you find time to run a literary brothel while writing a dissertation?


KV: What dissertation?

BTJ: I've been there. Specifically, I've been there while in Mexico. Thesis? What Thesis?

BTJ: Do you feel that your sense of humor is widely appreciated, or appeals to more of a specific niche?



KV: In day to day interactions, I adjust to the person, so I have empirical evidence that says my sense of humor CAN have wide appeal. However, for the purposes of a blog and a website, my writing style is probably more nichey...ie: appealing to those people who know that"nichey" is a made-up word.


BTJ: How has fame changed you?


KV: Since this interview is all via email, I'm not sure if this question is sarcastic, but for the sake of my ego, I'm going to assume it is not, and that you really believe I have achieved some level of fame. In a sense, you're right, but a TA has more fame on a college campus than I do in the literary world, so let me answer it from the TA's prospective: yes, fame has changed me. I can no longer go to the gym without running into an ex or current student, and man, they're alwaysin better shape than me. ALWAYS. In other words, fame has made me fat.


BTJ: Do you see yourself as a role model?


KV: Yes, but not in the traditional definition of "role model," more in the definition of "role model" being someone who procrastinates a lot, even to the point of doing email interviews when he should be reading Freedom from Fear by David Kennedy. But that book is freaking long.


BTJ: What do you like to cook/eat?


KV: Whatever my girlfriend makes. Seriously. She is such a good cook, I feel ashamed to cook for us. It's like dating John Lennon and saying, hey man, how about if I write the songs today? It's just not worth it. But my favorite foods are Chinese, Mexican, and Italian, in that order. I also have a weakness for a hearty breakfast at a greasy diner when the coffee is hot and the waitresses are surly.


Seriously.


Thanks for the interview! See you at The Brothel...

BTJ: Thanks, Klaus!

Check out The Literary Brothel today!

No comments: